Hi no Taiko

The Mikuni taiko performance tradition originated in the middle of the Edo period (1603-1868), when fires were lit and the taiko drums sounded to quell the storms that ravaged the regions near Mikuni.

The town's annual performances were established in 1955 (Showa 30), based on the style of drumming traditional to the local area.
Then, in 1966 (Showa 41), after a film was shot here in which the taiko performance figured prominently, the name "Hi no Taiko" (fire drums) was adopted for the event.

This newfound prominence also encouraged efforts to preserve and pass down the tradition.Taiko-related activity has been growing ever since.

At present the Mikuni Hi no Taiko Preservation Committee has more than ten members ranging in age from 20 to over 60, one-third of whom are women.
In recent years, they have received invitations to international drum and percussion festivals throughout the world.